It is usually quite easy to find information, guides, and tips telling you how to care for your fountain. However, it is rare that you find a list of things you should not do. Sure, everyone learns from their mistakes, but when you are dealing with an expensive piece of art, the last thing you want is for it to become a life lesson. Below is a list of things you should not do if you want to keep your fountain looking and operating its best.
Donatello Lavabo Wall Outdoor Water Fountain
- Don't let the water level get low. One of the most important fountain care tips to always keep in mind is that the water level needs to be maintained. The pump cannot correctly work, if it is not fully submerged.
- Don't use abrasive cleaning supplies. A fountain of any material can be damaged by an abrasive cleaning product or sponge. Even slate can lose its luster.
- Don't refill without rinsing cleaning product. When you clean a large water feature it can feel like a bit of a pain to empty the water again after rinsing the piece. However, if you just add water, you leave cleaning product behind, as well as the filth the cleaner just removed. So, your fountain will get dirty faster. This is a step you do not want to skip.
Campania Beauvais Outdoor Fountain
- Don't leave your outdoor fountain exposed all winter. When water is permitted to freeze and melt in a fountain, it creates stress cracks. Plus, a pump can absolutely not be left in a water feature when there is a risk of freezing temperatures.
- Don't settle for just any cover. When you winterize your fountain, it is important that you protect it with a quality cover. It needs to fit well and be weather-resistant. A good fit is essential in making sure it stays put when the wind starts blowing.
- Don't turn your fountain off. Unless you are putting your water feature away for the winter, you never need to turn it off. The constant flow of water is what helps to keep it clean. When you turn it off, the water becomes stagnant. This looks and smells bad, and stops the piece from creating positive energy.
Aurelia Garden Fountain
- Don't wait until it is filthy to clean. You should create a cleaning schedule, but it does not have to be concrete. If you see the water is getting dirty, do not wait until it is horrible to clean. This will only make the process harder.